Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contact Lens and Anterior Eye
- Evidence-based teaching in contact lenses education: teaching and learning strategies.Contact Lens Anterior Eye. 2023; 46: 101822
Fernández J, Burguera-Gimenez N. Teaching evidence-based ophthalmology (EBO). Ann Eye Sci 2019;4. https://doi.org/10.21037/aes.2019.08.05.
- Assessing competency in evidence based practice: strengths and limitations of current tools in practice.BMC Med Educ. 2009; 9: 1-5https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-9-53
- CLEAR - Evidence-based contact lens practice.Contact Lens Anterior Eye. 2021; 44https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clae.2021.02.008
- TFOS DEWS II management and therapy report.Ocul Surf. 2017; 15: 575-628
- CLEAR – Medical use of contact lenses.Contact Lens Anterior Eye. 2021; 44: 289-329https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clae.2021.02.002
- Teaching methods for evidence-based practice in optometry.Optom Curric Lifelong Learn through Erasmus. 2020;
- The influence of a novel simulated learning environment upon student clinical subjective refraction performance: A pilot study.Clin Exp Optom. 2016; 99: 342-349
- What are the effects of teaching evidence-based health care (EBHC)? Overview of systematic reviews.PLoS One. 2014; 9 (e86706)https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0086706
- Pedagogical strategies to teach bachelor students evidence-based practice: A systematic review.Nurse Educ Today. 2016; 36: 255-263https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.08.025
- Attitudes and barriers to evidence-based practice in optometry educators.Optom Vis Sci. 2015; 92: 514-523
- Journal Clubs: 2. Why and how to run them and how to publish them.Evid Based Med. 2017; 22: 232-234https://doi.org/10.1136/ebmed-2017-110861
- Methods for teaching evidence-based practice: a scoping review.BMC Med Educ. 2019; 19https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-019-1681-0
- Teaching ophthalmology residents clinical optics via a flipped classroom curriculum.J Acad Ophthalmol. 2019; 11: e16-e21
- Integration of the case-based series in population-oriented prevention into a problem-based medical curriculum.Am J Prev Med. 2003; 24: 102-107https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(03)00030-8
- Effectiveness and acceptability of a cataract surgery teaching video for medical students.Med Teach. 2012; 34: 178https://doi.org/10.3109/0142159X.2012.644835
- Improving the efficiency and the technique of the corneal scrape procedure via an evidence based instructional video at a quaternary referral eye hospital.Curr Eye Res. 2020; 45: 529-534https://doi.org/10.1080/02713683.2019.1676910
Gargallo A, Arines J. Contact lenses fitting teaching: learning improvement with monitor visualization of webcam video recordings. Second Int. Conf. Appl. Opt. Photonics, vol. 9286, SPIE; 2014, p. 928629. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2063656.
- The impact of the Virtual Ophthalmology Clinic on medical students’ learning: a randomised controlled trial.Eye. 2013; 27: 1151-1157
- Pilot study to test the use of a mobile device in the clinical setting to access evidence-based practice resources.Worldviews Evidence-Based Nurs. 2010; 7: 205-213https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-6787.2009.00171.x
- Information literacy in a digital era: understanding the impact of mobile information for undergraduate nursing students.Stud Health Technol Inform. 2016; 225: 297-301
- Contact lens education for the practitioners of the future.Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2021; 41: 603-609https://doi.org/10.1111/opo.12791
- The impact of COVID-19 on global contact lens education.J Optom. 2022; 15: 60-68https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optom.2020.11.002
- Best practices in digital health literacy.Int J Cardiol. 2019; 292: 277-279https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2019.05.070
- Evaluating a new objective grading software for conjunctival hyperaemia.Contact Lens Anterior Eye. 2020; 43: 137-143https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clae.2019.07.003
- An approach for simulating the fitting of rigid gas-permeable contact lenses using 3D printing technology.Contact Lens Anterior Eye. 2019; 42: 165-169
- Machine learning algorithm improves accuracy of ortho-K lens fitting in vision shaping treatment.Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2022; 45: 101474
- Deep learning for predicting refractive error from retinal fundus images.Investig Opthalmology Vis Sci. 2018; 59: 2861
- Evidence-based practice education for healthcare professions: an expert view.BMJ Evidence-Based Med. 2019; 24: 103-108
- Instructional practices for evidence-based practice with pre-registration allied health students: a review of recent research and developments.Adv Heal Sci Educ. 2017; 22: 1031-1045https://doi.org/10.1007/s10459-016-9702-9
- Clinical ophthalmology instruction for medical students.Surv Ophthalmol. 1977; 22: 106-112
- Practitioner perspectives on extended clinical placement programs in optometry.Clin Exp Optom. 2016; 99: 248-257https://doi.org/10.1111/cxo.12337
- Impact of supervised student optometry consultations on the patient experience.Clin Exp Optom. 2018; 101: 288-296https://doi.org/10.1111/cxo.12633
- What are the appropriate skills and knowledge required for entry into the practice of optometry?.J Optom Educ. 1992; 18: 9-13
- Conceptions of professional competence.in: Harteis C. Gruber H. Billett S. Int. Handb. Res. Prof. Pract. Learn. Springer, Dordrecht2014: 107-137
- Competency-based medical education: theory to practice.Med Teach. 2010; 32: 638-645
Heywood L, Gonczi A, Hager P. A guide to development of competency standards for professions. Canberra AGPS: 1992.
- Updating the competency profile and examination blueprint for entry-Level optometry in Canada.Can J Optom. 2018; 80: 25-34
- Monkey see, monkey do: A critique of the competency model in graduate medical education.Med Educ. 2004; 38: 587-592
- The assessment of clinical skills/competence/performance.Acad Med. 1990; 65: S63-S67
- Assessment of clinical competence.Lancet. 2001; 357: 945-949
- Different written assessment methods: What can be said about their strengths and weakness?.Med Educ. 2004; 38: 974-979https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2929.2004.01916.x
- Revisiting Miller’s pyramid in medical education: the gap between traditional assessment and diagnostic reasoning.Int J Med Educ. 2019; 10: 191-192https://doi.org/10.5116/ijme.5d9b.0c37
- Does developing multiple-choice Questions Improve Medical Students’ Learning? a systematic review.Med Educ Online. 2022; 27: 2005505https://doi.org/10.1080/10872981.2021.2005505
- The optimal number of options for multiple-choice questions on high-stakes tests: application of a revised index for detecting nonfunctional distractors.Adv Heal Sci Educ. 2019; 24: 141-150https://doi.org/10.1007/s10459-018-9855-9
- Multiple true–false items: a comparison of scoring algorithms.Adv Heal Sci Educ. 2018; 23: 455-463
- Multiple-choice questions in assessment: Perceptions of medical students from low-resource setting.J Educ Heal Promot. 2022; 11: 103
- Developing and evaluating multiple-choice tests for trustworthiness.J Nurses Prof Dev. 2019; 35: 204-209https://doi.org/10.1097/NND.0000000000000539
- Should essays and other open-ended-Type questions retain a place in written summative assessment in clinical medicine?.BMC Med Educ. 2014; 14: 1-18https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-014-0249-2
- A participatory learning approach to biochemistry using student authored and evaluated multiple-choice questions.Biochem Mol Biol Educ. 2011; 39: 352-361
- Medical students create multiple-choice questions for learning in pathology education: A pilot study.BMC Med Educ. 2018; : 18https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-018-1312-1
- A novel student-led approach to multiple-choice question generation and online database creation, with targeted clinician input.Teach Learn Med. 2015; 27: 182-188https://doi.org/10.1080/10401334.2015.1011651
- Randomized study showing the benefit of medical study writing multiple choice questions on their learning.BMC Med Educ. 2019; : 19https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-019-1469-2
- Writing multiple choice outcome questions to assess knowledge and competence.J Contin Educ Nurs. 2015; 46: 481-483
- Evaluation of clinical and communication skills of pharmacy students and pharmacists with an objective structured clinical examination.Am J Pharm Educ. 2015; 79: 122https://doi.org/10.5688/ajpe798122
- Effective teaching of communication to health professional undergraduate and postgraduate students: A Systematic Review.JBI Libr Syst Rev. 2012; 10: 1-12https://doi.org/10.11124/jbisrir-2012-327
- The Dreyfus model of clinical problem-solving skills acquisition: a critical perspective.Med Educ Online. 2010; 15: 4846
- Teaching communications skills to medical students: Introducing the fine art of medical practice.Int J Appl Basic Med Res. 2015; 5: 41https://doi.org/10.4103/2229-516x.162273
- Item analysis of multiple choice questions: A quality assurance test for an assessment tool.Med J Armed Forces India. 2021; 77: S85-S89
- The use of an essay examination in evaluating medical students during the surgical clerkship.Am J Surg. 2016; 211: 274-278https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2015.03.035
- Patients don’t come with multiple choice options: essay-based assessment in UME.Med Educ Online. 2019; 24: 1649959
- Use of computer-based scenarios for clinical teaching: Impact on nursing students’ decision-making skills.Healthc. 2021; : 9https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare9091228
- Assessing the impact of unfolding case study scenarios during high-fidelity pediatric simulation among undergraduate nursing students.Healthc. 2021; : 9https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare9111584
- Case-based teaching: does the addition of high-fidelity simulation make a difference in medical students’ clinical reasoning skills?.Med Sci Educ. 2020; 30: 307-313https://doi.org/10.1007/s40670-019-00904-0
- Long experience with a web-based, interactive, conversational virtual patient case simulation for medical students’ evaluation: comparison with oral examination.Med Educ Online. 2021; : 26https://doi.org/10.1080/10872981.2021.1946896
- How to write short cases for assessing problem-solving skills.Med Teach. 1999; 21: 144-150https://doi.org/10.1080/01421599979761
Tekian A, Yudkowsky R. Assessment in Health Professions Education. In: Downing SM, Yudkowsky R, editors. Assess. Heal. Prof. Educ. 1st ed., New York: Taylor & Francis Group; 2009, p. 269–85.
- The place of the oral examination in today’s assessment systems.Med Teach. 2005; 27: 294-297https://doi.org/10.1080/01421590500126437
- The oral examination: a study of academic and non-academic factors.Med Educ. 1993; 27: 433-439
- A surgery oral examination: interrater agreement and the influence of rater characteristics.Acad Med. 1995; 70: 1044-1046
- Analysis of the oral examination of the American Board of Anesthesiology.Acad Med. 1971; 46: 982-988
- Educational programs in US Medical Schools, 2002–2003.JAMA. 2003; 290: 1190-1196
- OSCEs at a glance.2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, Hoboken2013
- Objective structured clinical exams: a critical review.Fam Med. 2008; 40: 574-578
- Objective structured clinical examination: The assessment of choice.Oman Med J. 2011; 26: 219-222https://doi.org/10.5001/omj.2011.55
- Do medical students’ scores using different assessment instruments predict their scores in clinical reasoning using a computer-based simulation?.Adv Med Educ Pract. 2015; 6: 135-141https://doi.org/10.2147/AMEP.S77459
- Use of case-based exams as an instructional teaching tool to teach clinical reasoning.Med Teach. 2007; 29: e170-e174
- Situational awareness within objective structured clinical examination stations in undergraduate medical training – a literature search.BMC Med Educ. 2017; 17https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-017-1105-y
- Influences of OSCE design on students’ diagnostic reasoning.Med Educ. 2015; 49: 203-214https://doi.org/10.1111/medu.12635
- An objective structured clinical examination to assess problem-based learning.Am J Pharm Educ. 2012; 76: 44
- Critiques on the objective structured clinical examination.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2005; 34: 478-482
- Transition to clinical training: influence of pre-clinical knowledge and skills, and consequences for clinical performance.Med Educ. 2008; 42: 830-837
- The relationship between knowledge and clinical performance in novice and experienced critical care nurses.Hear Lung J Acute Crit Care. 2009; 38: 517-525
- Assessment of practical skills: the objective structured practical examination (OSPE).Stud High Educ. 1980; 5: 187-196
- Objective structured practical examination: a new concept in assessment of laboratory exercises in preclinical sciences.Med Educ. 1986; 20: 204-209
- It does not have to be either or! Assessing competence in medicine should be a continuum between an analytic and a holistic approach.Adv Heal Sci Educ. 2021; 26: 1659-1673
- Implementing a clinical competency assessment model that promotes critical reflection and ensures nursing graduates’ readiness for professional practice.Nurse Educ Pract. 2011; 11: 64-69
- Training self-assessment and task-selection skills: A cognitive approach to improving self-regulated learning.Learn Instr. 2012; 22: 121-132
- Classroom applications of research on self-regulated learning.Educ Psychol. 2001; 36: 89-101https://doi.org/10.1207/S15326985EP3602_4
de Boer H, Donker-Bergstra AS, Kostons DDNM. Effective strategies for self-regulated learning: a meta-analysis. vol. 11. 2012.
- The power of feedback.Rev Educ Res. 2007; 77: 81-112https://doi.org/10.3102/003465430298487
- Metacognitive strategies in student learning: Do students practise retrieval when they study on their own?.Memory. 2009; 17: 471-479https://doi.org/10.1080/09658210802647009
- Information competence of doctoral students in information science in Spain and Latin America: a self-assessment.J Acad Librariansh. 2013; 39: 144-154https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acalib.2012.08.006
- Student acceptance of e-learning methods in the laboratory class in optometry.PLoS One. 2018; 13: e0209004
- Training students with patient actors improves communication: a pilot study.Optom Vis Sci. 2014; 91: 121-128
- The impact of self- And peer-grading on student learning.Educ Assess. 2006; 11: 1-31
Wride M. Guide to self-assessment 2017. https://www.tcd.ie/academicpractice/Assets/pdf/Academic Practice Resources/Guide to Student Self Assessment.pdf.
- Towards an integrated model for developing sustainable assessment skills.Assess Eval High Educ. 2013; 38: 611-630https://doi.org/10.1080/02602938.2012.674484
- Lifelong learning in architectural design studio: The learning contract approach.Int Educ Stud. 2015; 8: 1-8https://doi.org/10.5539/ies.v8n1p1
- Student nurses’ experiences of using a learning contract as a method of assessment.Nurse Educ Today. 2009; 29: 758-762https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.03.012
- The effectiveness of self-assessment on the identification of learner needs, learner activity, and impact on clinical practice: BEME Guide no. 10.Med Teach. 2008; 30: 124-145
- Test-enhanced learning in medical education.Med Educ. 2008; 42: 959-966https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.2008.03124.x
- Student reflections on formative e-assessment: expectations and perceptions.Learn Media Technol. 2008; 33: 221-234https://doi.org/10.1080/17439880802324178
- Programmatic assessment: From assessment of learning to assessment for learning.Med Teach. 2011; 33: 478-485https://doi.org/10.3109/0142159X.2011.565828
- Teaching in nursing: a guide for faculty.4th ed. St, Louis2012
- A framework for evaluating and planning assessments intended to improve student achievement.Educ Meas Issues Pract. 2009; 28: 14-23https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-3992.2009.00150.x
- Assessment for learning: A wider (classroom-researched) perspective is important for formative assessment and self-directed learning in general practice.Educ Prim Care. 2013; 24: 93-96https://doi.org/10.1080/14739879.2013.11493462
- Association between formative assessment and academic performance for undergraduate medical students in a Chinese clinical skills training course.Med Sci Monit. 2021; 27 (e929068)https://doi.org/10.12659/MSM.929068
- Formative assessment and academic achievement in pre-graduate students of health sciences.Adv Heal Sci Educ. 2009; 14: 61-67https://doi.org/10.1007/s10459-007-9086-y
- The relationship between formative and summative examination and PANCE results: A multi-program study.J Physician Assist Educ. 2013; 24: 24-34https://doi.org/10.1097/01367895-201324010-00004
- The relationship between formative and summative assessment of undergraduates in oral surgery.Eur J Dent Educ. 2008; 12: 233-238https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0579.2008.00524.x
- Motivating student learning using a formative assessment journey.J Anat. 2014; 224: 296-303https://doi.org/10.1111/joa.12117
- Assessment and learning: differences and relationships between formative and summative assessment.Int J Phytoremediation. 1997; 21: 365-379https://doi.org/10.1080/0969594970040304
- Formative assessment can be fun as well as educational.Am J Physiol - Adv Physiol Educ. 2006; 30: 33-37https://doi.org/10.1152/advan.00040.2005
- Educational games and structured experiences.Med Teach. 2004; 26: 504-505
- Context is key: An interactive experiential and content frame game.Med Teach. 2004; 26: 525-528https://doi.org/10.1080/01421590412331282282
- Student approaches for learning in medicine: What does it tell us about the informal curriculum?.BMC Med Educ. 2011; : 11https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-11-87
- Comparing formative and summative simulation-based assessment in undergraduate nursing students: nursing competency acquisition and clinical simulation satisfaction.BMC Nurs. 2021; : 20https://doi.org/10.1186/s12912-021-00614-2
- Effects of simulation on nursing student stress: An integrative review.J Nurs Educ. 2017; 56: 139-144https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20170222-04
- Causes of student anxiety during simulation: What the literature says.Clin Simul Nurs. 2013; 9: e507-e512
- The role of simulation for learning within pre-registration nursing education - A literature review.Nurse Educ Today. 2011; 31: 650-654https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.10.029
- Effectiveness of patient simulation in nursing education: Meta-analysis.Nurse Educ Today. 2015; 35: 176-182https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.09.009
- Systematic review of the literature on simulation in nursing education.ABNF J. 2012; 23: 24-28
Van der Worp E, Chen Z. International Perspectives. The Great Wall of China. Contact Lens Spectr 2017.
The Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Regions. Press Releases. n.d. https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201811/28/P2018112800498.htm (accessed September 30, 2022).
ASCO – Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry n.d. https://optometriceducation.org/ (accessed February 7, 2023).
European Council of Optometry and Optics | Blue Book 2020 Trends in optics and optometry comparative European data n.d. https://www.ecoo.info/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/ECOO_BlueBook_2021_7.pdf (accessed February 7, 2023).
Our Members - World Council of Optometry n.d. https://worldcouncilofoptometry.info/our-members/ (accessed September 30, 2022).
Asia Pacific Council of Optometry n.d. https://asiapacificoptometry.org/ (accessed February 7, 2023).
AFCO |The African Council of Optometry | n.d. https://www.optometryafrica.com/ (accessed February 7, 2023).
IACLE – International Association of Contact Lens Educators n.d. https://iacle.org/ (accessed February 7, 2023).
Queen’s Printer, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Health Professions Act. Opticians Regulation. n.d. https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/loo65/loo65/487_94; 1996 (accessed September 30, 2022).
The National Archives. Opticians Act 1989 n.d. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/44/contents. (accessed September 30, 2022).
European Commission. The EU Single Market Regulated Professions database. n.d. https://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-databases/regprof/index.cfm?action=regprof&id_regprof=1148&tab=pro Optometrist (ophthalmic optician) (United Kingdom); 2005 (accessed September 30, 2022).
National Board of Examiners in Optometry (USA) n.d. https://nbeo.optometry.org/about; 2023 (accessed February 4, 2023).
Optometry Examining Board of Canada n.d. https://oebc.ca/; 2023 (accessed February 4, 2023).
The College of Optometrists, Qualifying n.d. https://www.college-optometrists.org/qualifying (accessed February 4, 2023).
About the Optical Registration Board - Coru n.d. https://coru.ie/about-us/registration-boards/optical-registration-board/about-the-optical-registration-board/ (accessed February 7, 2023).
IU in Thailand: News at IU: Indiana University n.d. https://news.iu.edu/stories/features/thailand/university-partnership-helped-establish-optometry-in-thailand.html (accessed February 7, 2023).
Classification Exams | Saudi Commission for Health Specialties n.d. https://scfhs.org.sa/en/classification-exams?exam=Optometry Technician (accessed February 7, 2023).
Accreditation Manual for Optometry Programs in Australia and New Zealand | Optometry Council of Australia and New Zealand n.d. https://www.ocanz.org/assets/Accreditation/6f8f3995c2/OCANZ-Part-1-FINAL.pdf (accessed February 7, 2023).
Becoming a Doctor of Optometry | The Canadian Association of Optometrists n.d. https://opto.ca/becoming-a-doctor-of-optometry (accessed February 7, 2023).
American Optometric Association State Boards of Optometry n.d. https://www.aoa.org/advocacy/state/state-boards-of-optometry?sso=y; 2023 (accessed February 4, 2023).
Federation of Optometric Regulatory Authorities of Canada, Provincial Regulatory Authorities n.d.
Hass-Wilson D. The Regulation of Health Care Professionals Other than Physicians. Https://WwwCatoOrg/Sites/CatoOrg/Files/Serials/Files/Regulation/1992/10/Reg15n4dHtml 1992. https://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/serials/files/regulation/1992/10/reg15n4d.html (accessed September 23, 2022).
- Scope of practice of optometrists working in the UK Hospital Eye Service: Second national survey.Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2022; 42: 428-439https://doi.org/10.1111/opo.12952
The Advantages & Challenges of Practicing Optometry in a Hospital - Review of Optometric Business n.d. https://www.reviewob.com/advantages-challenges-practicing-optometry-hospital/ (accessed February 7, 2023).
University of South-Eastern Norway n.d. https://www.usn.no/english/academics/find-programmes/msc-in-optometry-and-visual-science/; 2023 (accessed February 4, 2023).
Australian College of Optometry | Certificate in Advanced Contact Lenses - Australian College of Optometry n.d. https://www.aco.org.au/certificate-in-advanced-contact-lenses/ (accessed February 7, 2023).
University of New South Wales Sydney Handbook. Specialty Contact Lens Studies. n.d. https://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/postgraduate/courses/2023/OPTM7205; 2023 (accessed September 23, 2022).
National matching services. 2023 Match Statistics. n.d. https://natmatch.com/ormatch/statistics.html/; 2023. (accessed February 4, 2023).
What is American Board of Optometry Board Certification? n.d. https://americanboardofoptometry.org/become-certified/what-is-board-certification/ (accessed February 7, 2023).
American Academy of Optometry, Sections and Special Interest Groups. n.d. https://aaopt.org/membership/sections-special-interest-groups/; 2023 (accessed February 4, 2023).
British Contact Lens Assocation, Fellowship and Awards. n.d. https://www.bcla.org.uk/Public/Public/About/Fellowship___Awards.aspx?hkey=58af76fd-23be-48e4-8fd7-c280674b0534; 2023 (accessed February 4, 2023).
- Contact lens evidence-based academic reports (CLEAR).Contact Lens Anterior Eye. 2021; 44: 129-131https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clae.2021.02.011
Home | Cornea and Contact Lens Society Australia n.d. https://www.cclsa.org.au/ (accessed February 7, 2023).