To evaluate the efficacy of topical ivermectin-metronidazole combined therapy in the management of Demodex-associatedblepharitis.
Sixty patients with a diagnosis of Demodex-associatedblepharitis were recruited in a randomized clinical trial. Thirty receiving topical ivermectin (0.1%)-metronidazole (1%) gel treatment on days 0, 15 and 30. Thirty additional patients were used as a control group receiving vehicle on days 0, 15 and 30. The primary efficacy measure was the number of Demodex spp. mitesin the eyelashes of patients. The secondary outcomes included clinical improvement of signs and adverse events.
Complete eradication of Demodex spp. was found in 96.6% of patients in the treatment group. Furthermore, a significant reduction of inflammation signs were found in all treated patients versus controls. None of the patients experienced any adverse effects associated with the treatment.
Demodex infection was controlled satisfactorily with the ivermectin (0.1%)-metronidazole (1%) gel, and no adverse effects were observed. Application of this gel for the treatment of different parasitic infections of the eyelids could be feasible, and this requires further exploration.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contact Lens and Anterior Eye
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Demodex folliculorum and Demodex brevis in cutaneous biopsies.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1982; 7: 583-589
- The pathogenesis of Demodex folliculorum (hair follicular mites) in females with and without rosacea.Egypt Soc Parasitol. 2001; 31: 867-875
- A meta-analysis of association between acne vulgaris and Demodex infestation.J Zhejiang Univ Sci B. 2012; 13: 192-202
- High incidence of demodicidosis in eyelid basal cell carcinomas.Int J Dermatol. 2003; 42: 567-571
- Correlation between ocular Demodex infestation and serum immunoreactivity to Bacillus proteins in patients with Facial rosacea.Ophthalmology. 2010; 117 (e1): 870-877
- The effect of demodex infestation on blepharitis and the ocular symptoms.Eye Cont Lens. 2017; 43: 64-67
- Prevalencia de infección por Demodex folliculorum en pacientes que acuden a consulta general de oftalmología.Rev Salud Pública. 2011; 13: 990-997
- Clinical treatment of ocular Demodex folliculorum by systemic ivermectin.Am J Ophthalmol. 2011; 151 (e1): 1030-1034
- Evaluation of the efficacy of oral ivermectin in comparison with ivermectin-metronidazole combined therapy in the treatment of ocular and skin lesions of Demodex folliculorum.Int J Infect Dis. 2013; 17: e343-7
- TFOS DEWS II pathophysiology report.Ocul Surf. 2017; 15: 438-510
- Topical ivermectin: a new successful treatment for scabies.Pediatr Dermatol. 2001; 18: 63-65
- Ivermectin: a review in rosacea.Am J Clin Dermatol. 2015; 16: 447-452
- Ivermectin 20 years on: maturation of a wonder drug.Trends Parasitol. 2005; 21: 530-532
- Consort 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials.Lancet. 2010; : 1136
- Medical management of blepharitis.Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2015; 26: 289-294
- Treatment options for demodex blepharitis: patient choice and efficacy.Klin Monbl Augenheilkd. 2015; 232: 384-387
- Alpha-Terpinene, an antioxidant in tea tree oil, autoxidizes rapidly to skin allergens on air exposure.Chem Res Toxicol. 2012; 25: 713-721
- In vitro anti-demodectic effects and terpinen-4-ol content of commercial eyelid cleansers.Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2018;
- Dual anti-inflammatory and anti-parasitic action of topical ivermectin 1% in papulopustular rosacea.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2017; 31: 1907-1911
- Superiority of ivermectin 1% cream over metronidazole 0•75% cream in treating inflammatory lesions of rosacea: a randomized, investigator-blinded trial.Br J Dermatol. 2015; 172: 1103-1110
- Exposure of a corneal epithelial cell line (hTCEpi) to Demodex-associated Bacillus proteins results in an inflammatory response.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014; 55: 7019-7028
- Demodex folliculorum: diagnosis and therapy today.Klin Monbl Augenheilkd. 2014; 231: 241-245
- Potential antioxidant mechanism of action for metronidazole: implications for rosacea management.Adv Ther. 2001; 18: 237-243
Published online: May 24, 2020
Accepted: April 21, 2020
Received in revised form: April 20, 2020
Received: March 7, 2020
© 2020 British Contact Lens Association. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.