- •Increasing the compression factor of orthokeratology lenses by 1.00 D leads to faster refractive correction.
- •Increased compression did not affect the ortho-k lens fitting.
- •External ocular health was not compromised by increased compression factor.
- •No significant differences in the corneal biometrics between eyes fitted with different compression factors (0.75 and 1.75 D).
To evaluate changes in refractive and corneal responses in myopic children wearing orthokeratology (ortho-k) lenses with conventional compression factor (CCF, 0.75 D) and increased compression factor (ICF, 1.75 D).
This was a double-blind self-controlled study. Subjects were randomly fitted with CCF in one eye and ICF in the fellow eye. Weekly monitoring of refraction, visual acuity (VA), external ocular health, and corneal responses were performed over one month of lens wear and after discontinuation of lens wear until stabilization was achieved.
Twenty-five subjects, aged 9.4 ± 1.0 years, completed one-month lens wear, of whom 23 completed the washout period. The first fit success rates for CCF and ICF were 93% and 96%, respectively. Myopia, unaided VA, central corneal thickness, anterior corneal curvatures (K), apical power (AP), and corneal resistance factor (CRF) all changed significantly during the study period (P < 0.003). Between-eye difference was significant only for myopia reduction (P = 0.001). About 4% and 8% of ICF and CCF eyes were under-corrected. The attempted target was achieved in about 80% of CCF and 60% of ICF eyes at week 4. At the end of the washout period (3 weeks), myopia, K, and AP were significantly different compared to baseline (P < 0.001).
Increasing the compression factor did not affect the first fit success rate and external ocular health, but did allow faster correction of refractive error within one month of lens wear. Further investigation is warranted to investigate the long-term effects of ICF on myopia control compared to CCF.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contact Lens and Anterior Eye
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- High myopia–partial reduction ortho-k: a 2-year randomized study.Optom Vis Sci. 2013; 90: 530-539
- Myopia control using toric orthokeratology (TO-SEE study).Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013; 54: 6510-6517
- Retardation of myopia in Orthokeratology (ROMIO) study: a 2-year randomized clinical trial.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012; 53: 7077-7085
- The longitudinal orthokeratology research in children (LORIC) in Hong Kong: a pilot study on refractive changes and myopic control.Curr Eye Res. 2005; 30: 71-80
- Influence of overnight orthokeratology on axial elongation in childhood myopia.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011; 52: 2170-2174
- Myopia control with orthokeratology contact lenses in Spain: refractive and biometric changes.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012; 53: 5060-5065
- Corneal reshaping and myopia progression.Br J Ophthalmol. 2009; 93: 1181-1185
- Chinese experiences on orthokeratology.Eye Cont Lens. 2016; 42: 43-47
- Influence of orthokeratology Lens on axial length elongation and myopic progression in childhood myopia.Kosin Med J. 2017; 32: 204-211
- Orthokeratology: the global perspective.Global Orthokeratology Symposium. 2005;
- Parents’ knowledge and perspective of optical methods for myopia control in children.Optom Vis Sci. 2014; 91: 634-641
- Patient satisfaction and clinical outcomes after overnight orthokeratology.Optom Vis Sci. 2009; 86: 875-882
- Retention and regression of orthokeratology with time.Int Contact Lens Clin. 1998; 25: 59-64
- Overnight orthokeratology.Optom Vis Sci. 2000; 77: 252-259
- Overnight orthokeratology: preliminary results of the Lenses and Overnight Orthokeratology (LOOK) study.Optom Vis Sci. 2002; 79: 598-605
- Orthofocus techniques.Contacto. 1962; 6: 200-204
- Design variables and fitting philosophies of reverse geometry lenses.in: Mountford J. Ruston D. Dave T. Orthokeratology principles and practice. 2004: 69-107
- Empirical versus trial set fitting systems for accelerated orthokeratology.Eye Cont Lens. 2005; 31: 137-147
- Reduction of myopia from corneal refractive therapy.Optom Vis Sci. 2005; 82: 512-518
- The validity of the Jessen formula in overnight orthokeratology: a retrospective study.Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2008; 28: 265-268
- Corneal response to orthokeratology.Optom Vis Sci. 1998; 75: 791-799
- High myopia¡VPartial reduction Ortho-k: a 2-Year randomized study.Optom Vis Sci. 2013; 90: 530-539
- Validity of axial length measurements for monitoring myopic progression in orthokeratology.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013; 54: 1613-1615
- Topographical thickness of the epithelium and total cornea after overnight wear of reverse-geometry rigid contact lenses for myopia reduction.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003; 44: 4742-4746
- Clinical study of orthokeratology in young myopic adolescents.Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 1999; 26: 113-116
- Overnight orthokeratology: visual and corneal changes.Eye Cont Lens. 2003; 29: 137-145
- Changes in the anterior and posterior radii of the corneal curvature and anterior chamber depth by orthokeratology.Eye Cont Lens. 2008; 34: 17-20
- Corneal response to short-term orthokeratology lens wear.Optom Vis Sci. 2003; 80: 200-206
- Biomechanical properties in corneal refractive therapy during adaptation period and after treatment interruption: a pilot study.J Optom. 2012; 5: 164-170
- A pilot study on the corneal biomechanical changes in short‐term orthokeratology.Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2009; 29: 464-471
- Discontinuation of orthokeratology on eyeball elongation (DOEE).Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2017; 40: 82-87
- Reversibility of effects of orthokeratology on visual acuity, refractive error, corneal topography, and contrast sensitivity.Eye Cont Lens. 2008; 34: 224-228
- Residual corneal flattening after discontinuation of long-term orthokeratology lens wear in asian children.Eye Cont Lens. 2009; 35: 333-337
- Short-term changes in ocular biometry and refraction after discontinuation of long-term orthokeratology.Eye Cont Lens. 2014; 40: 84-90
- Discontinuation of orthokeratology and myopic progression.Optom Vis Sci. 2010; 87: 1053-1056
- Non-compliance and microbial contamination in orthokeratology.Optom Vis Sci. 2009; 86: 1227-1234
- Diurnal variation of axial length, intraocular pressure, and anterior eye biometrics.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008; 49: 2911-2918
- Diurnal variations in axial length, choroidal thickness, intraocular pressure, and ocular biometrics.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011; 52: 5121-5129
- Efron grading scales for contact lens complications (Appendix K).in: Efron N. Contact Lens practice. 3rd ed. Elsevier Health Sciences, 2016: 453-455
- Clinical performance of an orthokeratology lens fitted with the aid of a computer software in Chinese children.Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2012; 35: 180-184
- Orthokeratology practice in children in a university clinic in Hong Kong.Clin Exp Optom. 2008; 91: 453-460
- Do fenestrations affect the performance of orthokeratology lenses?.Optom Vis Sci. 2012; 89: 401-410
- High myopia-partial reduction orthokeratology (HM-PRO): study design.Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2013; 36: 164-170
- Short-term effects of overnight orthokeratology on corneal epithelial permeability and biomechanical properties.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013; 54: 3902-3911
- Influence of short-term orthokeratology to corneal tangent Modulus: a randomized study.Curr Eye Res. 2018; 43: 474-481
- Overnight orthokeratology: refractive and corneal recovery after discontinuation of reverse-geometry lenses.Eye Cont Lens. 2004; 30: 254-262
- The effects of overnight orthokeratology lens wear on corneal thickness.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003; 44: 2518-2523
- A meta-analysis of central corneal thickness changes with overnight orthokeratology.Eye Cont Lens. 2016; 42: 141-146
- Short-term effects of overnight orthokeratology on corneal cell morphology and corneal thickness.Cornea. 2011; 30: 646-654
- Posterior corneal curvature change and recovery after 6 months of overnight orthokeratology treatment.Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2010; 30: 274-280
- Orthokeratology and the air force.Orthokeratology. 1972; 1: 81-89
- Research in orthokeratology. Part V: results and observations--recovery aspects.J Am Optom Assoc. 1977; 48: 345-359
Published online: November 05, 2019
Accepted: October 20, 2019
Received in revised form: September 9, 2019
Received: January 26, 2019
© 2019 British Contact Lens Association. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.