- •Ocular hypotony after trabeculectomy is treated medically, surgically or with a tamponade.
- •Bandage lenses, symblepharon rings or Simmons shells have been used as a tamponade.
- •A scleral lens can be a successful tamponade for the treatment of ocular hypotony after trabeculectomy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Definition of glaucoma: clinical and experimental concepts.Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2012; 40: 341-349
- The changing conceptual basis of trabeculectomy: a review of past and current surgical techniques.Surv Ophthalmol. 2012; 57: 1-25
- Management of complications in glaucoma surgery.Indian J Ophthalmol. 2011; 59: S131-S140
- Mitomycin C versus 5-Fluorouracil for wound healing in glaucoma surgery (Review).Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858
- Hypotony maculopathy: clinical presentation and therapeutic methods.Ophthalmol Ther. 2015; 4: 79-88
- Efficacy and safety of transconjunctival scleral flap resutering for hypotony after glaucoma filtering surgery.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Opthalmol. 2008; 246: 1751-1756
- Management of hypotony and flat anterior chamber associated with glaucoma filtration surgery.Int J Ophthalmol. 2015; 8: 950-953
- Management of Hypotony after Trabeculectomy with mitomycin C.Korean J Ophthalmol. 2003; 17: 114-121
- Hypotony maculopathy.Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 2007; 85: 586-597
- Compression sutures - A new treatment for leaking or painful filtering blebs.IOVS. 1996; 37: S444
- Use of oversized bandage soft contact lenses in the management of early hypotony following filtration surgery.Ophthalmic Surg Lasers. 1996; 27: 417-421
- Use of the megasoft bandage lens for treatment of complications after trabeculectomy.Am J Ophthalmol. 1990; 110: 264-268
- Use of a symblepharon ring for treatment of over-filtration and leaking blebs after glaucoma filtration surgery.Ophthalmic Surg. 1990; 21: 707-710
- Corneal hazards in use of Simmons shell.Aust N Z J Ophthalmol. 1991; 19: 145-148
- Shell tamponade in filtering surgery for glaucoma.Ophthalmic Surg. 1979; 10: 17-34
- The shell tamponade technique for glaucoma filtration surgery [editorial].Aust N Z J Ophthalmol. 1991; 19: 101-103
Sclerallens.org [internet]. Scleral Lens Education Society; c2009 [cited 2013 June]. Available from: https://www.sclerallens.org/sites/default/files/files/SLS_Nomenclature_LtrHead06_26_2013.pdf.
- Objective and subjective performance of scleral lenses and new advances in scleral lens technologies [dissertation].Universiteit Utrecht, Visser Contactlenzenpraktijk Nijmegen2015
- Large soft contact lenses in the management of leaking blebs.CLAO J. 2000; 26: 37-39
- Soft bandage contact lenses in management of early bleb leak following trabeculectomy.Eye Sci. 2015; 30: 13-17
- Intermediate term outcomes of early post-trabeculectomy bleb leaks managed by large diameter soft bandage contact lens.J Glaucoma. 2017; 26: 816-821
Lim CHL, Stapleton F, Metha JS. Review of contact lens-related complications. Eye Contact Lens 2018 Jan;0(0):1-10. Epub Jan 24.
- Episodes of microbial keratitis with therapeutic silicone hydrogel bandage soft contact lenses.Eye Contact Lens. 2013; 39: 324-328
- The incidence of contact lens-related microbial keratitis in Australia.Ophthalmology. 2008; 115: 1655-1662
- Scleral lenses: a literature review.Eye Contact Lens. 2015; 41: 3-11
- Modern scleral contact lenses: a review.Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2014; 37: 240-250
- Scleral lenses in the management of ocular surface disease.Ophthalmology. 2014; 121: 1398-1405
- Fluid-ventilated, gas-permeable scleral contact lens is an effective option for managing severe ocular surface disease and many corneal disorders that would otherwise require penetrating keratoplasty.Eye Contact Lens. 2005; 31: 130-134
Schornack MM. The SCOPE study: An overview. This study evaluated the who, what, why, and how of scleral lens prescribing. Contact Lens Spectrum [Internet]. 2017 Dec [cited 2017 Dec 1];32:[25-28,30,31]. Available from: https://www.clspectrum.com/issues/2017/december-2017/the-scope-study-an-overview.
- Treatment of refractory persistent corneal epithelial defects: a standardized approach using continuous wear PROSE therapy.Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2015; 23: 219-224
- Modelling corneal oxygen with scleral gas permeable lens wear.Optom Vis Sci. 2016; 93: 1339-1348
- Predicting estimates of oxygen transmissibility for scleral lenses.Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2012; 35: 266-271
- Hypoxic corneal changes following eight hours of scleral contact lens wear.Optom Vis Sci. 2016; 93: 293-299
Isozaki VL, Chiu GB. Transient corneal epithelial bullae associated with large diameter scleral lens wear: A case series. Cont Lens Anterior Eye 2018 May;0(0):0. Epub 2018 May 25.
- Oxygen tension beneath scleral lenses of different clearances.Optom Vis Sci. 2017; 94: 466-475
☆This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors