- •In a general dry eye population, the artificial tears tested performed similarly.
- •Artificial tears provide more than transient relief to symptoms, with improvements still evident after 4 months of use.
- •Artificial tears aid in breaking the vicious dry eye disease cycle.
- •Osmolarity balanced drops preferred by those with low baseline tear volume.
- •Lipisomal spray preferred treatment by those with baseline lipid layer deficiency.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Diagnosis and differentiation of dry eye disorders.Ophthalmologe. 1995; 92: 6-11
- Effectiveness of sodium hyaluronate eyedrops in the treatment of dry eye.Graef. Arch. Clin. Exp. 2006; 244: 109-112
- Efficacy of sodium hyaluronate and carboxymethylcellulose in treating mild to moderate dry eye disease.Cornea. 2011; 30: 175-179
- Effect of sodium hyaluronate (0.1%) on break-up time (NIBUT) in patients with dry eyes.Br. J. Ophthalmol. 1986; 70: 442-447
- The effect of hyaluronic acid on corneal epithelial cell proliferation.Invest. Ophthalmol. Visual Sci. 1993; 34: 2313-2315
- Sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronic acid) promotes migration of human corneal epithelial cells in vitro.Br. J. Ophthalmol. 2004; 88: 821-825
- Surface: interfacial and molecular aspects of polymer bioadhesion on soft tissues.J. Control Release. 1985; 2: 257-275
- Carboxymethylcellulose binds to human corneal epithelial cells and is a modulator of corneal epithelial wound healing.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2007; 48: 1559-1567
- Effect of a liposomal spray on the pre-ocular tear film.Contact Lens Ant. Eye. 2010; 33: 83-87
- Comparative study of treatment of the dry eye syndrome due to disturbances of the tear film lipid layer with lipid-containing tear substitutes Efficacy of lipid-containing tear substitutes.Klin. Monatsbl. Augenheilkd. 2006; 223: 974-983
- Effect of three different liposomal eye sprays on ocular comfort and tear film.Contact Lens Ant. Eye. 2012; 35: 203-207
Methodologies to diagnose and monitor dry eye disease: Report of the Diagnostic Methodology Subcommittee of the International Dry Eye WorkShop. Ocular Surf. 5 (2007) 108-152.
- Dry Eye: pharmacological approaches effects, and progress.CLAO J. 1996; 22: 141-145
- A new therapy concept for the treatment of dry eye?the usefulness of phospholipid liposomes.Klin. Monatsbl. Augenheilkd. 2004; 221: 825-836
- Efficacy and safety of 0.18% sodium hyaluronate in patients with moderate dry eye syndrome and superficial keratitis.Graef. Arch. Clin. Exp. 2005; 243: 531-538
- Long term treatment with sodium hyaluronate-containing artificial tears reduces ocular surface damage in patients with dry eye.Br. J. Ophthalmol. 2002; 86: 181-184
- Comparison of three lubricant eye drop solutions in dry eye patients.Optom. Vis. Sci. 2011; 88: 1439-1444
- Vismed Hylovis Study Group. Efficacy of 0.18% hypotonic sodium hyaluronate ophthalmic solution in the treatment of signs and symptoms of dry eye disease.J. Francais D’Ophtalmol. 2012; 35: 412-419
- The effect of an artificial tear combining hyaluronic acid and tamarind seeds polysaccharide in patients with moderate dry eye syndrome: a new treatment for dry eye.Eu. J. Ophthalmol. 2014; 25: 173-178
- Efficacy, safety, and acceptability of a lipid-based artificial tear formulation: a randomised controlled, multicentre trial.Clin. Ther. 2015; 37: 858-868
- Efficacy and safety of two new formulations of artificial tears in subjects with dry eye disease: a 3-month multicentre, active controlled, randomized trial.Clin. Ophthalmol. 2015; 9: 665-675
- Efficacy of a fixed combination of 0.09% xanthan gum/0.1% chondroitin sulfate preservative free vs polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol in subjects with dry eye disease: a multicenter randomized controlled trial.BMC Ophthalmol. 2016; 16164
- Reliability and validity of the ocular surface disease index.Arch. Ophthalmol. 2000; 118: 615-621
- Lid-parallel conjunctival folds are a sure diagnostic sign of dry eye.Ophthalmologe. 1995; 92: 802-808
- TFOS DEWS II management and therapy report.Ocular Surf. 2017; 15: 575-628
- The application of analysis of variance (ANOVA) to different experimental designs in optometry.Ophthal. Physiol. Opt. 2002; 22: 248-256
- TFOS DEWS II diagnostic methodology report.Ocular Surf. 2017; 15: 539-574
- The high and low molecular weight forms of hyaluronan have distinct effects on CD44 clustering.J. Biol. Chem. 2012; 51: 43094-43107
- Double blind randomised, placebo controlled, crossover, multicentre study to determine the efficacy of a 0.1%(w/v) sodium hyaluronate solution (Fermavisc) in the treatment of dry eye syndrome.Br. J. Ophthalmol. 1999; 83: 1121-1124
- Expression of adhesion molecule CD44 on human corneas.Br. J. Ophthalmol. 1997; 81: 80-84
- HA receptors: regulators of signalling to the cytoskeleton.J. Cell. Biochem. 1996; 61: 569-577
- Hyaluronan stimulates corneal epithelial migration.Exp. Eye Res. 1991; 53: 753-758
- The effect of sodium hyaluronate on the corneal epithelium. An ultrastructural study.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 1988; 29: 194-199
- Sodium hyaluronate eye drops of different osmolarity for the treatment of dry eye in Sjögren’s syndrome patients.Br. J. Ophthalmol. 2002; 86: 879-884
- Weak association between subjective symptoms of and objective testing for dry eyes and dry mouth: results from a population based study.Ann. Rheum. Dis. 1998; 57: 20-24
- Corneal surface regularity and the effect of artificial tears in aqueous tear deficiency.Ophthalmology. 1999; 106: 939-943
- The mucin-deficient dry eye.Int. Ophthalmol. Clin. 1973; 13: 185-189
- Effect of carmellose-based artificial tears on the ocular surface in eyes after laser in situ keratomileusis.J. Refract. Surg. 1998; 15: S227-231
- Possible mechanisms for the loss of goblet cells in mucin-deficient disorders.Ophthalmology. 1984; 91: 545-552
- Impression cytology on conjunctiva and cornea in dry eye patients establishes a correlation between squamous metaplasia and dry eye clinical severity.Eur. J. Ophthalmol. 2003; 13: 115-127
- Randomized: phase III study comparing osmoprotective carboxymethylcellulose with sodium hyaluronate in dry eye disease.Eur. J. Ophthalmol. 2011; 22: 751-761
- An electrolyte-based solution that increases corneal glycogen and conjunctival goblet-cell density in a rabbit model for keratoconjunctivitis sicca.Ophthalmology. 1992; 99: 600-604
- The lipid layer of the lacrimal tear film: physiology and pathology.J. Fr. Ophtalmologie. 2001; 24: 643-658
- Functional aspects of the tear film lipid layer.Exp. Eye Res. 2004; 78: 347-360