- •Schirmer's test was abnormal in 33% symptomatic computer users at baseline.
- •Tear film break up time was abnormal in 55% symptomatic computer users at baseline.
- •Dry eye symptoms scores improve after dietary intervention with omega 3 fatty acids for 3 months.
- •Omega 3 fatty acids decrease tear evaporation rates.
- •Conjunctival goblet cell density increases after omega 3 fatty acid treatment.
Setting and design
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The definition and classification of dry eye disease: report of the Definition and Classification Subcommittee of the International Dry Eye Workshop (2007).Ocul Surf. 2007; 5: 75-92
- The epidemiology of dry eye disease: report of the Epidemiology Subcommittee of the International Dry Eye Workshop (2007).Ocul Surf. 2007; 5: 93-107
- Hormone replacement therapy and dry eye syndrome.JAMA. 2001; 286: 2114-2119
- Dry eye after refractive surgery.Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2001; 12: 318-322
- Effect of hinge width on corneal sensation and dry eye after laser in situ keratomileusis.J Cataract Refract Surg. 2004; 30: 790-797
- Blink rate, blink amplitude, and tear film integrity during dynamic visual display terminal tasks.Curr Eye Res. 2011; 36: 190-197
- Marked reduction and distinct patterns of eye blinking in patients with moderately dry eyes during video display terminal use.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2004; 242: 306-312
- Prevalence and risk factors associated with dry eye symptoms: a population based study in Indonesia.Br J Ophthalmol. 2002; 86: 1347-1351
- Dry eye disease: pathophysiology, classification, and diagnosis.Am J Manag Care. 2008; 14: S79-S87
- Computer vision syndrome: a review of ocular causes and potential treatments.Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2011; 31: 502-515
- Effect of artificial tears on corneal surface regularity, contrast sensitivity, and glare disability in dry eyes.Ophthalmology. 2002; 109: 1934-1940
- Management and therapy of dry eye disease: report of the Management and Therapy Subcommittee of the International Dry Eye Work Shop.Ocul Surf. 2007; 5: 163-178
- Sodium hyaluronate and polyvinyl alcohol artificial tear preparations. A comparison in patients with keratoconjunctivitis sicca.Arch Ophthalmol. 1988; 106: 484-487
- Essential fatty acids for dry eye: a review.Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2010; 33: 49-54
- Pilot, prospective, randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled clinical trial of an omega-3 supplement for dry eye.Cornea. 2011; 30: 308-314
- Relation between dietary n-3 and n-6 fatty acids and clinically diagnosed dry eye syndrome in women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 82: 887-893
- The correlation of routine tear function tests and conjunctival impression cytology in dry eye syndrome.Korean J Ophthalmol. 2014; 28: 122-129
- Sampling area selection for the assessment of goblet cell density from conjunctival impression cytology specimens.Eye Contact Lens. 2012; 38: 122-129
- Cellulose acetate impressions of the ocular surface. Dry eye states.Arch Ophthalmol. 1983; 101: 1869-1872
- Fatty Acids composition of some selected Indian fishes.Afr J Basic Appl Sci. 2012; 4: 155-160
- Prevalence of dry eye disease among Japanese visual display terminal users.Ophthalmology. 2008; 115: 1982-1988
- Comparison of ocular-surface disease index questionnaire, tear film break-up time, and Schirmer tests for the evaluation of the tear film in computer users with and without dry-eye symptomatology.Clin Ophthalmol. 2012; 6: 1303-1306
- The lack of association between signs and symptoms in patients with dry eye disease.Cornea. 2004; 23: 762-770
- Prevalence of dry eye syndrome among US women.Am J Ophthalmol. 2003; 136: 318-326
- Short-term consumption of oral omega-3 and dry eye syndrome.Ophthalmology. 2013; 120: 2191-2196
- A randomized controlled trial of omega-3 fatty acids in dry eye syndrome.Int J Ophthalmol. 2013; 6: 811-816
- A multicentre, double-masked, randomized, controlled trial assessing the effect of oral supplementation of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids on a conjunctival inflammatory marker in dry eye patients.Acta Ophthalmol. 2011; 89: e591-e597