- •Efficacy of contact lens solutions was determined against keratitis-causing microbes.
- •Of the eight contact lens solutions tested, only three were effective in killing bacterial and fungal pathogens.
- •None of them showed any cysticidal effects.
- •These findings are of great concern for contact lens users.
- •Urgent interventions are needed by health officials and contact lens manufacturers, along with special guidelines for developing countries regarding the manufacture and storage of contact lens disinfecting solutions.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hong Kong Microbial Keratitis Study Group. Incidence and risk factors for microbial keratitis in Hong Kong: comparison with Europe and North America.Eye. 2002; 16: 608-618
- Incidence of contact-lens-associated microbial keratitis and its related morbidity.Lancet. 1999; 354: 181-185
- The incidence of ulcerative keratitis among users of daily-wear and extended-wear soft contact lenses.N Engl J Med. 1989; 321: 779-783
- Characterization of Fusarium keratitis outbreak isolates: contribution of biofilms to antimicrobial resistance and pathogenesis.Immunol Microbiol. 2012; 55: 4450-4457
- Inefficacy of marketed contact lens disinfection solutions against keratitis-causing Acanthamoeba castellanii belonging to the T4 genotype.Exp Parasitol. 2014; 141: 122-128
- Culturable aerobic and facultative anaerobic intestinal bacterial flora of Black Cobra (Naja sp.).ISRN Vet Sci. 2014; ([article ID 878479])
- Prevalence of Acanthamoeba and superbugs in a clinical setting: coincidence or hyperparasitism.Parasitol Res. 2013; 112: 1349-1351
- Staphylococcus aureus exhibit similarities in their interactions with Acanthamoeba and ThP1 macrophage-like cells.Exp Parasitol. 2012; 132: 513-518
- ISO 14729 Ophthalmic optics – contact lens care products – microbiological requirements and test methods for products and regimens for hygienic management of contact lenses.ISO, Geneva, Switzerland2001
- Review of standard for evaluating the effectiveness of contact lens disinfectants.PDAJ Pharm Sci Technol. 2002; 56: 37-50
- Efficacy of care solutions against contact lens-associated Fusarium biofilms.Optom Vis Sci. 2012; 89: 382-391
- Anti-Acanthamoebic properties of resveratrol and de-methoxy curcumin.Exp Parasitol. 2012; 132: 519-523
- Carbohydrate analysis of Acanthamoeba castellanii.Exp Parasitol. 2009; 122: 338-343
- Contact lens-related microbial keratitis: recent outbreaks.Curr Opin Opthalmol. 2008; 19: 302-306
- Efficacy of multipurpose solutions against Acanthamoeba species.Contact Lens Anter Eye. 2005; 28: 169-175
- Acanthamoeba keratitis multiple states 2005–2007.MMWR: Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2007; 56: 1-3
- Comparision of hydrogen peroxide contact lens disinfection systems and solutions against Acanthamoeba polyphaga.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2001; 45: 2038-2043
- Disinfection efficacy of contact lens care solutions against ocular pathogens.CLAO J. 2001; 27: 16-22
- Efficacy of commercial soft contact lens disinfectant solutions against Acanthamoeba.Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2011; 55: 547-557
- Effect of storage temperatures and time on the efficacy of multipurpose solutions for contact lenses.Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2004; 24: 218-224
- Contact lens-related visual loss—a case series from Karachi.Pak Med Assoc. 2011; 61: 1246-1248